Friday, December 18, 2009

Kindred Spirits & Underdeveloped Purpose Statements

     I recently saw the heartwarming and inspiring film Julie & Julia. I saw it at Parkway Cinemas 8, or as I affectionately refer to it: the Dollar Theater. It is where I saw my very first movie, Pinocchio, with my father when I was only 3. It is one of the nearest and dearest locations to my heart. I have laughed my "unfortunate" laugh there so frequently and loudly that I have had multiple occasions (the last I remember being Robots) to reconnect with school-age friends through the post-film comment, "I knew that was you I heard in there". I have cried enough there to garner comments of concern from my mother (after seeing Million Dollar Baby) when she insisted that I call her to check in between films during the Saturday double features of my Middle School days. And I have been so transfixed by films there as to be told that I watch them with a focus like no other (as was said to me by a close friend right after watching P.S. I Love You) . It's a very special theater to me. And one that is no stranger to the highs, lows, and new beginnings of my life. So that Julie & Julia affected me as it did as it watched it in that theater, my theater, is no surprise.

     The film is all about passion, doing things that other can't or won't understand, kindred spirits, and just doing something! It made me think of my passions, my own un-understandable desires, those with whom I have "kindred" connections , and it inspired me to the action of this blog as a way for me to do something about all of my aforementioned thoughts.

     I have a love of film. Not a casual, popcorn munching, blockbuster perusing type of love. But a love that threatens Oscar boycotts on a nearly annual basis based on the unacceptable snubs and undeserved inclusions (I'm still not over Synecdoche, New York's total lack of recognition from last year by the way), a love that attends a film alone in a theater because I'm there for it, not for my friends, and a love that has drawn me to find others who posses it as well. Generally speaking, that search comes up void, but last year I encountered a man who is having the same love affair with the movies that I have been swept up in for the better part of my life. Note: I said that I encountered him, not that we met. For, alas, it is doubtful that we shall ever meet. Unlike me, a film-lover who is generally obscure as it pertains to the global scene, my kindred spirit isn't nearly as un-noticed. He is actually the subject of much attention, notoriety, and my unwavering respect and admiration. His name is Roger Ebert.

     As the nonexistent "friendship" between Julie and Julia played out before me on the screen, I couldn't help but to be reminded of how Mr. Ebert has so uplifted me and encouraged me in my passion. But there was that whole do something theme of the movie that still needed to be dealt with... The film gave its heroine a definitive time limit to work to a measurable goal. She decided that she would work through all 524 recipes in Julia Child's cookbook in exactly 365 days while documenting her exploits and adventures through a blog. But what could my goal be? What sort of time-frame am I willing to allot to this whimsical little project?

     In all honestly, I am still a little unclear as to what I want this blog to be. But here's what I'm thinking so far: Awards Season is now under way and (contain yourselves) the Oscar noms are soon to come. In less than a month the year will end and we will begin a new year sure to bring with it new and exiting film experiences. In this current cinematic climate I think it might be appropriate to do some top ten lists for the year. Maybe for the decade? Do some awards predictions and then of course (post- awards season) evaluations. In all of this Mr. Ebert's thoughts and considerations would be referenced, weighed, and valued. As soon as I figure out how, I'll be getting up some links to his website and blogs so you all can keep up with him too. But there is still the issue of a definitive time-frame to accomplish my as-yet rather underdeveloped and extremely broad goal in. What I'm thinking may ultimately happen is that I will come up with a top-30 list for 2009 and then set aside a month in which I'll view a film-a-day and then blog my personal review and critique along with some thoughts.

     With my poorly formed purpose-statement for this blog out of the way, I'll bid you all farewell with the promise that I'll be blogging on my two favorite films of the year-to-date this weekend: Two Lovers and Inglourious Bast*rds. I look forward to seeing where this little foray into this film-blog adventure takes me and look forward to you all joining me for the ride.

     P.S. I will hopefully be seeing The Princess & The Frog, Avatar, Precious, and maybe even A Serious Man (if I'm feeling ambitious) this weekend. I'll be sure to let you all know all of mine and Ebert's thoughts on them ASAP.

1 comment:

  1. dude,why were you up at 5:15am writing this...?
    i like it, but still. lol. sleep child. Good luck, cant wait to read on. =]

    ReplyDelete