Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rodney's 2011 Oscar Wishlist (Part I -MUSIC)

     Most people (whether they write it out or just quietly internalize it) have some sort of wish-list for what they hope to receive at Christmas-time. I am and never have been one for Christmas lists; which in my opinion, makes me very easy to shop for -I'm happy with anything. But those close to me insist that by not limiting the possibilities, I make shopping for me impossible... but I digress. I have always had a wishlist come Oscar-time and thus far it has always been a quietly internalized one, until now! I give you Rodney's 2011 Oscar Wishlist (Part I -MUSIC):

*It must be noted that I have yet to see A Separation (Roger's #1 film of the year) or War Horse (a Best Picture contender) along with a few other Oscar hopefuls.

**The appropriate amount of nominees will not neccessarily be listed for each category. This post isn't my way of filling out my own awards ballot, but rather my way of listing what each category is incomplete without.

ORIGINAL SONG:

*Each song's title is linked to its YouTube video.

     Lay Your Head Down - Albert Nobbs

     Life's A Happy Song - The Muppets

     The Living Proof - The Help


WINNER: The Living Proof - The Help

ORIGINAL SCORE:

*Click on CLIP for a YouTube sampling of each film's score.

     The Artist

(In spite of my issues with its inclusion of the score from Vertigo: read blog-post for details)

(moderately lengthed) CLIP

      Shame

 
(Especially the opening music that reprises during the climax and then ending -In reality, I assume the score was deemed ineligable for including too much pre-existing music -the same fate that befell the scores of Black Swan and There Will Be Blood)

(short) CLIP (long) CLIP

      Take Shelter

 
(short) CLIP (long) CLIP

     Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

(Although it must be addressed that Danny Elfmans score from The Wolfman used in the trailer *hear it here* is the best piece of music "from" the movie)

(moderatley lengthed) CLIP

WINNERTake Shelter 

(Although the melancholy score from Shame is beautiful and haunting, it's use of pre-existing music detracts from a consistent originality, whereas Take Shelter's is consistent in its sorrowful build-up to a mysterious dread)

     Check back soon for Part II!

No comments:

Post a Comment